Auditions for ‘Arsenic and Old Lace’
The Community Players are looking for a variety of men and women for its upcoming production of “Arsenic and Old Lace.”
The Community Players announce open auditions for
ARSENIC and OLD LACE
Sunday, October 20 and Monday, October 21
Registration starting at 6:30 pm; auditions beginning at 7 pm
350 Division Street Pawtucket, RI 02860
Arsenic and Old Lace is a classic stage comedy about the sweet, old Brewster sisters, beloved in their genteel Brooklyn neighborhood for their many charitable acts. One charity which the ladies don’t advertise is their ongoing effort to permit lonely bachelors to die with smiles on their faces – by serving said bachelors elderberry wine spiked with arsenic. When the sisters’ drama critic nephew Mortimer stumbles onto their secret, he is understandably upset. Given the homicidal tendencies of his aunts, the sinister activities of his escaped-convict older brother Jonathan, and the disruptive behavior of younger brother Teddy (who is convinced that he’s really Theodore Roosevelt) – Mortimer isn’t keen on starting a family with his new bride, as he’s sure insanity runs in the family. Further complications ensue when the murderous Jonathan Brewster arrives home with his sniveling accomplice Dr. Einstein in tow…
Director Margaret “Peg” Pires is looking for the following cast with the following playing age ranges:
- Mortimer Brewster: (male, late 20′s to late 30′s) The slightly neurotic nephew to Abby and Martha Brewster, who most comes face to face with his maniac brother, Jonathan.
- Elaine Harper: (female, mid 20′s to mid 30′s) Mortimer’s pretty, independent girlfriend.
- Abby Brewster: (female, 50′s & up) One of the two sweet, but insane Brewster aunts who believes murdering lonely old men to be an act of charity.
- Martha Brewster: (female, 50′s & up) The other sweet, but, insane Brewster aunt who serves as Abby’s partner in crime.
- Jonathan Brewster: (male, 40′s & up) Mortimer’s evil, maniac brother, who, because of numerous plastic surgeries, bears a striking resemblance to Boris Karloff.
- Dr. Einstein: (male, 40′s & up) Jonathon’s partner in crime, who hopes they will be able to turn the Brewster house into an evil laboratory.
- Teddy Brewster: (male, late 30′s to mid 40′s) The kindhearted brother to Mortimer and Jonathon, who honestly believes he is President Theodore Roosevelt.
- Officer Brophy and Officer Klein: (male, 30′s & up) Officers who make their rounds collecting Christmas toys, and aid Mortimer in his fight against Jonathon.
- Officer O’Hara: (male, late 20′s & up) The determined police officer who is also an aspiring playwright. Would like Irish accent if possible.
- Lieutenant Rooney: (male, early 40′s & up) A police officer who aids Mortimer in his fight against Jonathan.
- Reverend Dr. Harper: (male, 50′s & up) Father to Elaine Harper; The minister who runs the church next door to the Brewster house.
- Mr. Gibbs: (male, 50′s & up) A lonely little old man who nearly falls victim to the aunts’ charity.
- Mr. Whitherspoon: (male (or female*), 40′s & up) The caretaker of Happy Dale Sanitarium. *May consider this role for a female.
Auditions will be held Sunday, October 20 and Monday, October 21, 7 pm at Jenks Auditorium, Division Street, Pawtucket (across from McCoy Stadium), and will consist of cold readings from the script. Production dates are January 10-12 and 17-19 at Jenks Auditorium. No appointments necessary. Rehearsal nights TBD – please come with potential rehearsal conflict dates (i.e., vacations, dates/times you are not available).
For further information call (401) 274-1116 or email firstname.lastname@example.org