The Community Players announce open auditions for ‘Play On!’
Rhode Island’s oldest community theater, The Community Players, currently celebrating their 100th season, will hold auditions for their final show of the season, Play On! on Tuesday, April 19th, and Thursday April 21, 2022, at 7-9:30pm at Jenks Auditorium, 350 Division Street, Pawtucket, RI, (across from McCoy Stadium). Sign-in will begin at 6:30 pm – last sign in opportunity at 8:00pm.
A community theatre is desperately trying to produce a murder mystery in spite of maddening interference from a haughty local author who keeps revising the script. Act I is a rehearsal of the dreadful show, Act II is the near disastrous dress rehearsal, and the final act is the actual performance, in which anything that can go wrong, does. When the author decides to give a speech on the state of the modern theatre during the curtain calls, the audience is treated to a madcap climax and a thoroughly hilarious romp. Even the sound effects reap their share of laughter.
Director Greg Geer is actively seeking an ethnically diverse cast for this show. Auditions will consist of readings from the script – see below for specific character breakdown information.
All roles are open.
- Gerry Dunbar (any gender identity, age presents between 30-70), a community theatre director.
- Aggie Manville (any gender identity, age presents between 30-70), an overworked stage manager
- Lou/Louise Peary (any gender identity, age presents between 40-80), a surly theatre technician
- Henry Benish (Male-identifying, age presents between 60-80), a character actor, possibly stuffy
- Polly Benish (Female-identifying, age presents between 60-80); a grand dame/character actress
- Saul Watson (Male-identifying, age presents between 35-50), a smug character actor
- Billy Carewe (Male-identifying, age presents between 20-35); a leading man-type
- Violet Imbray (Female-identifying, age presents between 20-35); an ingénue-type
- Marla Smith (Female-identifying, age presents between 20-25), an aspiring actress
- Phyllis Montague (Female-identifying, age presents between 35-70); a local, novice playwright
Please note all auditioning will need to show proof of vaccination for Covid 19, along with an official government issued identification. Masks will be required at all times, unless on stage and actively auditioning.
Please come prepared with potential rehearsal conflict dates (evenings you are not available, any vacation periods, etc.) Rehearsal nights (beginning April 26th) will be Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Production dates are July 8,9,10 an15, 16, 17 at 350 Division Street, Pawtucket RI. For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, call (774-306-1196) or email email@example.com.
For more information about The Community Players, visit www.thecommunityplayers.org.